MASPA Names 5 To All-State Staff, 2017 Journalist of the year

MASPA has named five seniors from across the state to its first ever All-State High School Journalism Staff, while senior Mona Baloch of Newton South has been named the 2017 Massachusetts High School Journalist of the Year.

The All-State High School Journalism Staff represents excellence in writing, page design, photography, and editorial leadership. Click on the names to get a look at their online portfolios:

Olivia Gieger, Wellesley High School
Mona Baloch, Newton South High School
Kathrine Esten, Somerset Berkley Regional High School
Zachary Miller, Wellesley High School
Carly Roy, Medford High School

Applicants for the contest submitted an online portfolio of their work, a journalism resume, and a two-page reflection on their journalism careers to date. This is the first year that MASPA, a state affiliate of the national Journalism Education Association, has named the All-State Staff, in an effort to recognize excellence and shine a light on the next generation of newsroom leaders.

In addition, MASPA announced that Baloch will be the 2017 Massachusetts High School Journalist of the Year. She now will compete with state winners from across the country in the JEA’s national High School Journalist of the Year contest, the winners of which will be announced in April at the JEA/NSPA spring convention in Seattle.

The judging committee for the contest had five members: MASPA Executive Director Brian Baron; New England Scholastic Press Association Executive Director Helen Smith; Boston Globe copy editor John Vitti; JEA state director Julie Kuo of Lexington; and Colleen Simpson of Scituate.

MASPA will begin the 2018 contest this May by taking nominations from advisers for our All-State High School Journalism Staff Watch List. Keep your eyes out for that email!