Broadcast of the Year: News Story — Best of the Massachusetts High School Press 2017-2018

1. Maya Mathews, Aidan Leary, and Tianna McToggart

“March for Our Lives: Newton North’s Perspective”

NNTV, Newton North High School

Scott Dunlop and Amanda Mazzola, advisers

Judge’s comments: The natural sound and street photography made me feel like I was at the protest in Boston. The reporter was courageous, interviewing both local and national figures. Excellent quotes were captured. The reporter also put the story ahead of her own ego.

2. Xavier Cullen & Austin Reardon

“Norwood-opoly”

NHS-TV, Norwood High School

Jeb Brunt, adviser

Judge’s comments: This package covered Norwoodopoly comprehensively by interviewing organizers, buyers and players. The photographer captured match cut opportunities that helped to make the story more understandable.

3. Mia Fanizzi & Ashley Hutchens

“Time to Pay Up”

NHS-TV, Norwood High School

Jeb Brunt, adviser

Judge’s comments: This package on the TD Garden contract dispute contains the student, her instructor and a state rep. The reporter also tries to get an interview with the TD Garden. It is technically proficient with well framed shots and clear audio. But, the story needs to reveal more than just what can be read in the Globe.

4. Evyatar Gershon & Will Marsh

“NNHS Walk Out to Prevent Gun Violence”

NNTV, Newton North High School

Judge’s comments: This package had the strongest emotional connection out of all of the entries. The drone shot showed the scale of the protest more effectively than other walkout entries. All Newton North entries could be improved by shooting with a tripod when possible and setting the shutter at 1/60th for 30FPS or 1/50th for 24FPS.

5. Kevin Sisk and Stephen Ailinger

“NHS Walks Out”

NHS-TV, Norwood High School

Jeb Brunt, adviser

Judge’s comments: This walkout protest story was well shot, but it missed opportunities to use natural sound to place the viewer at the location. The reporting could also improve by providing more context and viewpoints.