Mass. Student Journalists Earn National Recognition

A record number of Massachusetts student journalists and their publications earned recognition at the JEA/NSPA fall national high school journalism convention in Chicago last weekend.

Students from The Ghostwriter at Westford Academy, the yearbook at Woburn High School, and Denebola and The Lion’s Roar at Newton South attended the convention, along with 6,300 other high school journalists and their advisers from around the nation. The attendance made this convention the second largest gathering of high school journalists ever.

Those earning recognition:

Pacemaker Winners

According to the NSPA web site: “Each year, the National Scholastic Press Association presents scholastic journalism’s preeminent award, the Pacemaker. There is a category for each type of publication – online, newspaper, yearbook, magazine and broadcast. Entries are judged by teams of professionals based on the following criteria: coverage and content, quality of writing and reporting, leadership, design, photography and graphics.The contests are open to any NSPA member publication.”

The Harbinger, Algonquin Regional High School

Lindsay Coppens, adviser

Pacemaker Finalists

Broadcast — PNN, Plymouth North High School

Shelley Terry, adviser

NSPA Individual Awards

From the NSPA web site: “Each year, the National Scholastic Press Association presents the Individual Awards, honoring the best individuals in scholastic journalism. There are six categories. Entries are judged by teams of professionals with experience and expertise in the area of each particular contest. The contests are open to any student on staff of an NSPA member publication. Entries must have been published or broadcast during the 2017-18 academic year.”

First Place in Story of the Year (Opinion): Gabe Bryan from Brimmer and May’s The Gator  for Speak Truth to Power Amid Sexual Abuse Claims.

Third Place in Story of the Year (News): The Harbinger at Algonquin Regional’s Cassidy Wang and Paige Morse for Vape Culture.

Fourth Place for Digital Story of the Year (Social Media Promotion): The staff of Phillips Academy in Andover’s The Phillipian.

Honorable Mention in Broadcast Story of the Year (Opinion):  Norwood High School Mustang Mag’s Robert Bussiere, Xavier Cullen, and Tim Rose with The Last Jedi.

Honorable Mention in Digital Story of the Year (Multimedia News Package): Ella Kitterman, and Chloe McKim Jepsen of Brookline High School’s The Sagamore for Brookline community recoils from racist videos, looks to future

Honorable Mention in Broadcast Story of the Year (News): Mia Fanizzi, Ashley Hutchens of Mustang Magazine at Norwood High School with Time to Pay Up.

Honorable Mention in Digital Story of the Year (Interactive Graphic): Jeffrey Shen, Harvey Zheng of Phillips Academy in Andover’s The Phillipian for State of the Academy.

Honorable Mention in Digital Story of the Year (Photo Slideshow): Mac Callahan and Rhea Prem of Phillips Academy in Andover’s The Phillipian for Photo Essay, Architecture. 

Honorable Mention in Story of the Year (News): Thomas Patti with additional reporting byMichelle Cheng and Carina Ramos of Newton South’s The Lion’s Roar for Deepening Disconnect

JEA Write-Offs

The Journalism Education Association sponsors the write-off contests, which ask students to produce journalism on site (in most cases) in a wide variety of categories. Awards are given in three levels: Superior, Excellent, and Honorable Mention. Four Massachusetts students were recognized this year.

Superior, Feature Writing — Dina Zeldin, Newton South

Excellent, Commentary Writing — Kavya Desikan of Westford Academy

Excellent, Editorial Writing — Eu Ro Wang, Newton South

Honorable Mention, Review Writing — Mahi Kandage of Westford Academy

Quiz Bowl

Quarterfinalists: The staff of Westford Academy’s The Ghostwriter